DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING AND REGULATORY AFFAIRS
CONSTRUCTION SAFETY STANDARDS
(By authority conferred on the director of the department of licensing and regulatory
affairs by sections 19 and 21 of 1974 PA 154, and Executive Reorganization Order Nos.
1996-2, 2003-1, 2008-4, and 2011-4, MCL 445.2001, 445.2011, 445.2025, and 445.2030)
PART 24. TAR KETTLES
R 408.42401 Applicability.
Rule 2401. (1) This part applies to all of the following:
(a) Portable tar kettles.
(b) Tankers and yard storage units.
(c) Material handling.
(2) This part does not apply to a unit that is used for paving operations if the
unit has a vessel which has a capacity of less than 15 gallons or a burner that has a firing
rate of less than 5000 Btu's.
History: 1979 AC; 1991 AACS.
R 408.42402 Tar kettle construction.
Rule 2402. (1) A tar kettle vat for molten material shall be of welded construction and
all other materials of the tar kettle, except tires, used in its construction shall be
noncombustible. A tanker for molten material shall be braced and baffled to contain the
(2) A cover for a tar kettle vessel shall be hinged, close fitting, and capable of
smothering a fire inside the vessel, when in a closed position.
(3) A discharge valve from a tar kettle vessel shall be a quick closing type with standard
(4) Pipe, tubing, hose, and conductors used for hot material from a tar kettle or tanker
shall be supported when above ground or floor level. Hose, tubing, pipe, and conductors
running horizontally shall be supported at intervals that will prevent sagging.
Connections shall be made with unions or couplings and shall be maintained free of
(5) Where a pump unit is mounted on a tar kettle and the fuel container is an integral
part of the pump, the pump unit shall be shielded from the tar kettle by a barrier of rigid
History: 1979 AC; 2013 AACS.