Rule 16. (1) An instructor of educational and training programs shall apply for
approval by submitting information on an application provided by the bureau. This
information shall be evaluated by the commission pursuant to the requirements of this
(2) Before a full evaluation of an application, the bureau shall determine that the
application submitted is complete. If it is incomplete, the applicant shall be notified, in
writing, of the deficiency within 15 days of the date the application is received by the
bureau. The incomplete application shall be returned to the applicant without prejudice.
A subsequent submission shall be treated as a new application.
(3) An application for approval of instructors shall be evaluated for compliance
with the act and these rules.
(4) An application for the approval of instructors shall be accompanied by all
(5) An application shall contain all of the following information:
(a) The name and address of the applicant.
(b) The history or work experience relative to the subjects to be taught.
(c) A list of educational or training courses or programs completed by the applicant.
(d) Certifications, licenses, or registrations held by the applicant that relate to the
subject to be taught.
(e) The social security number of the applicant pursuant to the regulated
occupational support enforcement act, 1996 PA 236, MCL 338.3431 to 338.3436.
(f) An applicant’s previous teaching, training, and experience.
(6) When an application for approval of an educational or training program
proposes using instructors who are currently approved under these rules, those instructors
may be identified by name and approval number instead of submitting duplicate
applications for approval as instructors.
(7) An instructor of educational and training programs shall meet the following
requirements, as appropriate:
(a) Have 4 years of experience in the subject to be taught.
(b) For technical and specialty categories in plumbing, electrical, or mechanical
trades, licensure at the journey level or a higher level or equivalent work history in
addition to the experience required in subdivision (a) of this subrule.
(8) If the application is disapproved, the commission shall notify the applicant and
provide a written explanation of the reason for disapproval. The disapproved application
shall be returned to the applicant.
(9) Approval of an instructor shall be evidenced by an instructor approval report
that is prepared by the bureau and issued to the applicant. The report shall include all of
the following information:
(a) Name and address of the instructor.
(b) Instructor identification number.
(c) Period of approval.
(d) Conditions of approval.
(10) The commission may withdraw the approval of an instructor when the
approval was issued in error or was issued on the basis of incorrect information; or, when
the instructor is found to be in violation of the rules or failed to pay a required fee.
Notice of withdrawal of approval shall be in writing and shall set forth the reasons for