(5) "Side loader" means a self-loading truck, generally high-lift, having load
engaging means mounted in such a manner that the means can be extended laterally
under control to permit a load to be picked up and deposited in the extended position and
transported in the retracted position. (Appendix A, Figure 8.)
(6) "Straddle truck" means a general class of cantilever truck with horizontal
structural wheel supported members extending forward from the main body of the truck,
generally high-lift, for picking up and hauling loads between its outrigger arms.
(Appendix A, Figure 10.)
(7) "Tire" means a tire which may be standard solid, cushion solid, pneumatic or
solid pneumatic style.
(8) "Tiering" means a process of placing a load on or above another load.
(9) "Unattended truck" means a truck which is beyond the vision or more than 25
feet from the operator, whichever is less.
History: 1979 AC; 1998-2000 AACS; 2016 AACS.
R 408.12111 Adopted and referenced standards.
Rule 2111. (1) The following standards are adopted by reference in these rules and
are available from IHS Global, 15 Inverness Way East, Englewood, Colorado, 80112,
USA, telephone number: 1-800-854-7179 or via the internet at website:
(2) A powered industrial truck manufactured after January 15, 1971, but before
1993, shall be certified by the manufacturer that the truck covered by this part has been
produced according to the mandatory requirements of sections 3 and 4, except subsection
421 of section 4, of the American National Standards Institute Standard ANSI standard
B56.1 “Safety Standards For Powered Industrial Trucks,” 1969 edition. Cost: $60.00.
(3) A low lift or high lift truck manufactured after April 26, 2000 shall be in
compliance with the requirements of ANSI standard B56.1 “Safety Standard For Low
Lift And High Lift Trucks,” 1993 edition, except as noted in subrule(1) of this rule. Cost:
(4) A rough terrain fork lift truck manufactured after April 26, 2000 shall be in
compliance with the requirements of ANSI standard B56.1 “Rough Terrain Fork Lift
Trucks,” 1993 edition. Cost: $68.00.
(5) A industrial crane truck manufactured after April 26, 2000 shall be in
compliance with ANSI standard B56.7 “Safety Standard For Industrial Crane Trucks,”
1987 edition. Cost: $60.00.
(6) A tow tractor manufactured after April 26, 2000 shall be in compliance with
ANSI standard B56.92 “Operator Controlled Industrial Tow Tractors,” 1992 edition.
(7) A manually propelled high lift industrial truck manufactured after April 26, 2000
shall be in compliance with ANSI standard B56.10 “Manually Propelled High Lift
Industrial Trucks,” 1992 edition. Cost: $105.00.
(8) National Fire Protection Agency Standard NFPA 505 “Fire Safety Standard for
Powered Industrial Trucks Including Type Designations, Areas of Use, Conversions,
Maintenance, and Operations,” 1996 edition. Cost: $27.00.