Rule 103. (1) "Disc or plate-mounted grinding" means the removal of material
using an abrasive wheel fastened to a metal plate.
(2) "Flange" means a collar, disc, or plate between which abrasive wheels are
(3) "Form grinding" means to impart a specific shape or form onto a grinding
wheel for the purpose of grinding that specific shape to the material or workpiece.
(4) "Guard" means an enclosure that is designed to restrain pieces of abrasive
wheel and protect the employee if the wheel breaks.
(5) "Internal grinding" means the precision grinding of the inside surface of the
hole in a workpiece.
(6) "Lapidary" means to cut off, shape, or grind precious or semiprecious
History: 1979 AC; 1990 AACS.
R 408.10104 Definitions; M to R.
Rule 104. (1) "Masonry cutting" means the cutting off, notching or slotting of
units of materials such as brick, tile, block or refractory shapes where the workpiece
is brought to the machine.
(2) "Mounted wheels" means various shaped abrasive wheels not more than 2
inches in diameter and mounted on a plain steel mandrel.
(3) "Off-hand grinding" means the grinding of any material which is held in an
(4) "Portable grinding" means a grinding operation where the machine is designed
to be hand-held and may be easily moved from 1 location to another.
(5) "Precision grinding" means the grinding operation performed by machines
used to finish work parts to specified dimensions and finish requirements.
(6) "Revolutions per minute--rpm" means the number of complete turns that a
grinding wheel makes in 1 minute.
History: 1979 AC.
R 408.10105 Definitions; S to W.
Rule 105. (1) "Shoulder grinding" means a periphery grinding operation where a
limited amount of grinding with the side of the wheel may be performed.
(2) "Snagging" means the grinding which removes relatively large amounts of
material without regard to close tolerances or surface finish requirements.
(3) "Surface feet per minute" or "sfpm" means the distance in feet that any 1
abrasive grain travels in l minute on a peripheral surface of a rotating grinding
(4) "Surface grinding" means the precision grinding of a plane or formed surface.
(5) "Tool or cutter grinding" means the precision grinding or sharpening of various
types of cutting tools.
(6) "Tuck pointing" means the removal, by grinding, of mortar, cement, or other