(5) A tank shall be of such material, design, and construction that under normal
handling it will maintain its rectangular or square design and required accuracy for a
reasonable length of time.
(6) A tank shall be conspicuously and permanently marked to indicate the cubic
capacity of the tank per inch depth throughout its measurement range.
(7) A tank manufactured and offered for sale after the effective date of these rules shall
be marked with the name and address of the manufacturer.
(8) The maintenance and acceptance tolerance on a tank with a capacity of 30 cubic
feet or less shall be 150 cubic inches in excess or deficiency; that is, the cubical
content at any point in the tank within
the measurement range shall not differ more than 150 cubic inches from a calculated
volume determined by multiplying the depth of the tank from that point by the
indicated cubical capacity of the tank per inch depth, except as provided for in subrule
(9) The maintenance tolerance for a tank now in use for the determination of
volume measurement shall be 1% excess or deficiency within the measurement range;
however, a tank that does not meet all of the requirements in this rule shall not be used
after January 1, 1973.
History: 1979 AC.
R 285.548.3 Cherry gauge rods.
Rule 3. (1) The indicating means shall consist of a calibrated gauge rod and level
(2) The rod shall be of rigid design, made of stainless steel smoothly finished with the
probe and tapered to 1/2 inch, and, when properly seated in position, shall touch the
bottom of the holding tank being measured. The rod shall be graduated throughout an
interval corresponding to the range within which readings of the cherry level are to be
(3) On a rod the spacing of the graduation center to center shall be not more than .0625
(1/16) inch and not less than .03125 (1/32) inch. The graduation shall be not less than
.005 inch in width and the clear interval between adjacent edges of successive
graduations shall be not less than .015625 (1/64) inch. The graduations shall be
designated in inches, 0.5 inches, 0.1 inches, and 0.02 inches.
(4) The level indicating plate assembly shall consist of a rigid plate and a slider tube
designed to move up and down the calibrated gauge rod. The rigid plate shall be a
perforated round disk of stainless steel, 10 inches in diameter, with the perforations
not exceeding 3/8 inch in diameter. The plate shall be permanently attached to the
slider tube. The slider assembly shall move freely on the gauge rod without slip and shall
weigh 4 pounds, plus or minus 1/10 of 1%.
History: 1979 AC.
R 285.548.4 Price and delivery tickets.