(4) A request for a waiver pursuant to section 16205 of the code, MCL 333.16205, must
be received by the department before the expiration date of the license.
(5) The department may select and audit a sample of licensees who have renewed their
licenses and request proof of compliance with subrule (1) of this rule.
History: 2019 AACS; AACS 2021; 2022 MR 22, Eff. Nov. 21, 2022.
PART 4. CONTINUING EDUCATION
R 338.741 Acceptable continuing education; requirements; limitations.
Rule 41. (1) A licensee may not earn more than 12 hours of continuing education during
a 24-hour period.
(2) A licensee may not earn credit for a continuing education program or activity that is
identical or substantially identical to a program or activity the licensee has already earned
credit for during that license cycle.
(3) The continuing education credit hours earned during 1 license cycle may not be
carried forward to the next license cycle.
(4) A licensee may not earn credit for continuing education programs or activities that
primarily focus on practices excluded from licensure under section 17957 of the code, MCL
(5) A licensee shall earn at least 1 hour of continuing education in the area of pain and
symptom management. Continuing education hours in pain and symptom management may
include, but are not limited to, courses in behavior management, behavior modification,
stress management, and clinical applications, as they relate to professional practice.
(6) A licensee shall earn at least 2 hours of continuing education in the area of
professional ethics or boundaries.
(7) The board approves any of the following as acceptable continuing education:
ACCEPTABLE CONTINUING EDUCATION ACTIVITIES
Activity and Proof Required
Number of continuing
education hours earned
Attendance at or participation in a continuing
education program or activity related to the practice of
massage therapy, or any non-clinical subject relevant to
massage therapy practice, education, administration,
The number of
hours earned is the
number of hours
management, or science, which includes, but is not limited approved by the sponsor
to, live, in-person programs; interactive or monitored or the approving
teleconference, audio-conference, or web-based programs; organization for the
online programs; and journal articles or other self-study
programs approved or offered by any of the following:
The NCBTMB, or a sponsor approved by the
specific program or
activity. A maximum of
18 hours of continuing
education may be earned
for this activity in each
The FSMTB, or a sponsor approved by the FSMTB.
A massage therapy school or program approved