Rule 1406. (1) "Passageway" means a path of travel for foot traffic only.
(2) "Pinch point" means a point at which it is possible to be caught between
moving parts of a machine or between moving and stationary parts of a machine, or
between the material and any part of a machine.
(3) "Pneumatic conveyor" means a system of tubes or ducts through which objects
or bulk materials are conveyed by a pressure or vacuum system. See figure 5.
(4) "Portable conveyor" means a transportable conveyor, usually having supports
which provide mobility. See figure 6.
(5) "Pulley" means a wheel, usually cylindrical but sometimes polygonal in cross
section, with the wheel's center board for mounting on a shaft and used to transmit
power or change direction.
History: 1979 AC.
R 408.11407 Definitions; R to V.
Rule 1407. (1) "Rollback" means an uncontrolled run of a conveyor down an
inclined slope opposite to the direction of intended travel.
(2) "Roller conveyor" means a series of rollers supported in a frame over which
packages or objects are moved manually, by gravity or by power. See figure 8.
(3) "Runaway" means an uncontrolled run of a conveyor on a declined slope in the
direction of intended travel.
(4) "Safety factor" means the ratio of the breaking strength of a piece of material or
object to the maximum designed load or stress applied when in use.
(5) "Safety limit switch" means a final device used to disconnect power to a
conveyor in case of control or operator failure.
(6) "Slat conveyor" means 1 or more endless chains to which non-overlapping, non-
interlocking, spaced slats are attached to form a moving support for packages or objects
being conveyed. See figure 9.
(7) "Suspended tray conveyor" means pendant trays or carriers attached to 1 or more
endless chains which receive and deliver packages or objects at 1 or more locations. See
(8) "Vertical reciprocating conveyor" means a conveyor with power or
counterbalanced gravity actuated carriers which receive and discharge material to other
History: 1979 AC; 2017 AACS.
R 408.11411 Employers' and employees' general responsibilities.
Rule 1411. (1) An employer shall provide training to an employee working on or by
a conveyor regarding the hazards and safeguards of such work.
(2) An employer shall establish an inspection program to maintain conveyor
components in a condition which does not constitute a hazard to the employee.
(3) An employee shall not ride, cross or walk on a conveyor unless it is designed for
riding or crossovers are provided as specified in R 408.11425, except a floor-level
slat type conveyor moving at not more than 60 feet per minute. A chain or cable