(7) “Roof ladder” means a ladder equipped with folding hooks. The hooks provide a
means of anchoring the ladder to the roof ridge or other roof part.
(8) “Stay poles” also called tormenters, mean poles attached to the rails of the long
extension ladders to aid in the raising and supporting of the ladder.
(9) “Structural fire fighting” means activities of rescue, fire suppression, and
property conservation in buildings, enclosed structures, aircraft, vehicles, vessels, or like
properties that are involved in a fire or emergency situation.
(10) “Training” means the process of making fire service personnel proficient
through instruction or hands-on practice, or both, in the operation and care of equipment
that is expected to be used and in the performance of assigned duties.
(11) “Volunteer” means a person who is permitted to work as, and who is trained
as, a member of an organized fire department.
History: 1979 AC; 1988 AACS; 2001 AACS; 2013 AACS.
R 408.17405 Adopted and referenced standards.
Rule 7405. (1) The following National Fire Protection Association standards are
adopted by reference in these rules and are available from the National Fire Protection
Association, 1 Batterymarch Park, P.O. Box 9101, Quincy, Massachusetts, 02269-9101,
or via the internet at the following website: www.nfpa.org, at a cost as of the time of
adoption of these amendments, as stated in these rules.
(a) NFPA 1901: “Automotive Fire Apparatus,” 2009 edition. Cost: $50.50.
(b) NFPA 1983: “Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components,” 1995
edition. Cost: $27.00.
(c) NFPA 1971: “Protective Ensemble for Structural Fire Fighting,” 2007 edition.
(d) NFPA 1981: “Open Circuit Self-contained Breathing Apparatus for Fire
Fighter,” 1997 edition. Cost: $43.00.
(e) NFPA 1982: “Personal Alert Safety System (PASS) for Fire Fighters,” 1998
edition. Cost: $39.00.
(2) The standards adopted in these rules are available for inspection at the
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, MIOSHA Regulatory Services Section,
530 West Allegan Street, P.O. Box 30643, Lansing, Michigan, 48909-8143.
(3) Copies of the standards adopted in these rules may be obtained from the
publisher or may be obtained from the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs,
MIOSHA Regulatory Services Section, 530 West Allegan Street, P.O. Box 30643,
Lansing, Michigan, 48909-8143, at the cost charged in these rules plus $20.00 for
shipping and handling.
(4) The following Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration
(MIOSHA) standards are referenced in these rules. Up to 5 copies of these standards may
be obtained at no charge from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory
Affairs, MIOSHA Regulatory Services Section, 530 West Allegan Street, P.O. Box
30643, Lansing, Michigan, 48909-8143 or via the internet at the following website:
time of adoption of these rules, is 4 cents per page.