(2) “Aerial apparatus” means a fire department vehicle that is equipped with a power
operated extension ladder or elevating platform used for rescue, ventilation, elevated
master streams, and gaining access to upper levels and that carries ground ladders, tools,
and other equipment.
(3) “Control” means the limitation of worker exposure to exhaust emissions to levels not
exceeding applicable MIOSHA exposure limits.
(4) “Controlled process” means an arrangement of equipment to control exhaust
emissions by means of any of the following:
(a) A point of source capture of exhaust emissions by a mechanical tailpipe exhaust
(b) A general mechanical exhaust ventilation system in a fire apparatus building bay
(c) A device that is permanently installed directly on the fire apparatus exhaust
(5) “Emergency operations” means a fire or nonfire incident, including, but not limited
to, rescues, extrications, hazardous material release, and natural disasters, where fire
department response can be anticipated and which subjects firefighters to personal injury
or hazards. Vegetative cover fires are not included in this definition.
(6) “Exhaust emissions” means exhaust by-products of combustion, from internal
combustion engines, capable of causing occupational illness or disease to a person.
(7) “Fire apparatus” means mobile firefighting equipment including, but not limited to, a
pumper/engine, aerial apparatus, a tanker/tender, or any other similar equipment that has
fire suppression or rescue as its primary use. A vehicle not designed, equipped, or utilized
for emergency operations is not fire apparatus.
(8) “Firefighter” means a member of an organized fire department who is responsible
for, or is in a capacity that includes responsibility for, the extinguishment of fires, the
directing of the extinguishment of fires, the directing or management of emergency
response activities, fire safety prevention inspection, plans examination, fire
investigation, hazardous materials response, technical rescue response, airport rescue
response, airport rescue firefighting, fire service instruction, and the enforcement of the
general fire laws of this state and the community where he or she serves.
(9) “Fire station” means a structure in which fire service equipment is housed and
employees may be quartered.
(10) “Foam containing PFAS” means firefighting foam containing intentionally added
perfluoroalkyl or polyfluoroalkyl substance.
(11) “Ladder pipe” means a large capacity water delivery device attached to an aerial
(12) “Municipal” means any public entity.
R 408.17404 Definitions; O to V.
Rule 7404. (1) “Operator’s control station” means a work station where the operator of
an apparatus, such as an aerial ladder or pumper, is stationed.
(2) “Personal alert safety systems” or “PASS” means a device that is certified as
complying with these rules, that senses movement or lack of movement, and that
automatically activates an audible alarm signal, which can also be manually activated to