DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
ECONOMIC STABILITY ADMINISTRATION
FAMILY INDEPENDENCE PROGRAM
Filed with the secretary of state on June 22, 2022
These rules become effective 7 days after filing with the secretary of state.
(By authority conferred on the department of health and human services by section 6 of the
social welfare act, 1939 PA 280, MCL 400.6)
R 400.3107 of the Michigan Administrative Code is amended, as follows:
R 400.3107 Applications.
Rule 7. (1) Any person may apply for assistance for himself or herself. With the group's
permission, a person who is 18 years of age or older may be authorized to represent and apply on
behalf of the group.
(2) A person may submit an application by fax on a form prescribed by the department. The
original, signed application must be received by the department before benefits are approved.
(3) A person shall complete a department application form when first applying for assistance
benefits and when eligibility is redetermined.
(4) The department must accept an application and register it as soon as it is filed if it contains
the minimum information established by the department and is signed by the client or the client's
(5) Upon receipt of an incomplete application, the department staff shall provide the client with
an appropriate form identifying the information needed to render the application complete and
shall specify a due date by which the information must be provided. The department must deny
eligibility, or terminate an ongoing assistance case, if the application remains incomplete. An
incomplete application is valid through the last day of the month after the month of denial or
termination and may be updated during that period.
(6) As part of the application and redetermination process, the department may conduct an
official, confidential interview with the client, another responsible applicant group member, or
the authorized representative. An interview must be conducted in a department local office
during normal weekday office hours or by telephone.
October 26, 2021