Agency Report to JCAR-Page 2
The Skilled Trades Regulation Act, 2016 PA 407, repealed the Building Officials and Inspectors
Registration Act, 1986 PA 54, MCL 338.2301 to 338.2313. The repealed Building Officials and
Inspectors Registration Act is outdated and does not provide uniform licensing, complaint
investigation, and enforcement provisions for skilled trades licenses. This places a burden on the
bureau administering the Building Officials and Inspectors Registration Act and creates an inefficient
use of resources. Additionally, many licensees who are cross-licensed in multiple trades have
expressed dissatisfaction with conflicting provisions, such as electronic communication and third-
party continuing education tracking options and specifies violations for unlicensed activity as
provided to other regulated professions. Because the Building Officials and Inspectors Registration
Act was repealed, the bureau plans to rescind the licensing rules regulated under the Skilled Trades
Regulation Act, including the building officials, plan reviewers, and inspectors’ rules.
5. List names of newspapers in which the notice of public hearing was published and
Newberry News- Published on May 11, 2022.
MLive Ann Arbor- Published on May 12, 2022.
The Morning Sun- Published on May 11, 2022.
Macomb Daily- Published on May 11, 2022.
Oakland Press- Published on May 11, 2022.
6. Date of publication of rules and notice of public hearing in Michigan Register:
7. Date, time, and location of public hearing:
5/23/2022 09:00 AM at Michigan Library & Historical Center, First Floor Forum , 702 W. Kalamazoo
Street, Lansing, MI 48915
8. Provide the link the agency used to post the regulatory impact statement and cost-benefit
analysis on its website:
9. List of the name and title of agency representative(s) attending public hearing:
Amanda Johnson- Departmental Analyst, BCC.
Anthony Snyder- Legislative Analyst, BCC.
Dianne Barmes- Former Manager, BCC.
David Stenrose- Boiler Chief, BCC.
Jonathan Paradine- Building Chief, BCC.
10. Persons submitting comments of support:
11. Persons submitting comments of opposition:
12. Persons submitting other comments:
MCL 24.242 and 24.245