Agency Report to JCAR-Page 2
The Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO) and the Michigan Occupational Safety
and Health Administration (MIOSHA) will hold a public hearing on the promulgation of the General
Industry Safety Health Standard Part 74. Firefighting.
The proposed rule set will be updated to adopt by reference National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA) standard 1403 establishing requirements for live fire training.
On July 31, 2020, MCL 408.1014r was added to the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Act,
1974 PA 154, to require the Director of LEO to promulgate rules regarding a firefighter’s use of
firefighting foam concentrates containing Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS). These new rules are
included in the proposed changes.
Several of the current rules that reference older versions of NFPA standards have been updated to a
newer version of the standards. These updated references and requirements can be viewed with other
proposed amendments at the link provided below.
The proposed rules will be published in the March 15, 2022, Michigan Register. You may download
a free copy of the proposed amendments by visiting the agency’s website at
filing with the Secretary of State.
5. List names of newspapers in which the notice of public hearing was published and
Mining Journal - March 8, 2022
Lansing State Journal - March 7, 2022
Oakland Press - March 7, 2022
6. Date of publication of rules and notice of public hearing in Michigan Register:
7. Date, time, and location of public hearing:
4/5/2022 10:00 AM at The Michigan Library & Historical Center, 1st Floor Forum , 702 W.
Kalamazoo, Lansing MI, 48915
8. Provide the link the agency used to post the regulatory impact statement and cost-benefit
analysis on its website:
9. List of the name and title of agency representative(s) attending public hearing:
MCL 24.242 and 24.245