Agency Report to JCAR-Page 2
The Michigan Public Service Commission is considering the repromulgation of rules governing basic
local exchange service customer migration, located at R 484.81 to R 484.90. The Commission will
hold a public hearing to solicit comments from anyone who wishes to comment on the proposed
rules. The repromulgated rules are proposed to take effect on June 17, 2022.
These rules are designed to streamline the processes and provide guidelines for providers of basic
local exchange service when transferring an end user (telephone landline customer) from one
provider to another. Having reasonable standards protects both end users and providers during the
migration process by ensuring all needed information is provided to each provider involved in the
transfer on a timely basis. Frequency of conduct will vary from provider to provider based on its
number of end users and the number of competitors in the exchange. These rules are necessary
because there are natural incentives to prevent or delay such transfers on the part of the currently
serving provider. The proposed rules contain only minimal stylistic changes.
5. List names of newspapers in which the notice of public hearing was published and
The Grand Rapids Press, on September 23, 2021.
The Mining Journal, on September 23, 2021.
The Oakland Press, on September 23, 2021.
6. Date of publication of rules and notice of public hearing in Michigan Register:
7. Date, time, and location of public hearing:
10/5/2021 10:00 AM at The public hearing will be held be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Any
person may attend and participate in this hearing by visiting the following web link or by dialing the
number below at the time of the hearing. , Join on your computer or mobile app at this web link:
8. Provide the link the agency used to post the regulatory impact statement and cost-benefit
analysis on its website:
9. List of the name and title of agency representative(s) attending public hearing:
Wendy Thelen, Michigan Public Service Commission.
Josh McConkie, Michigan Public Service Commission.
10. Persons submitting comments of support:
11. Persons submitting comments of opposition:
12. Identify any changes made to the proposed rules based on comments received during the
public comment period:
MCL 24.242 and 24.245