Unemployment Insurance Agency
A. Please list all applicable statutory references (MCLs, Executive Orders, etc.).
By authority conferred on the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) by section 4 of 1936 PA 1,
MCL 421.4, and ERO Nos. 1997-11, 2002-1, 2003-1, 2011-4, 2014-6, and 2019-3; MCL 421.94,
MCL 445.2004, MCL 445.2011, MCL 445.2030, MCL 125.1995, and MCL 125.1998.
B. Are the rules mandated by any applicable constitutional or statutory provision? If so, please
9. Please describe the extent to which the rules conflict with or duplicate similar rules,
compliance requirements, or other standards adopted at the state, regional, or federal level.
The proposed rules do not conflict with or duplicate any state or federal regulations.
10. Is the subject matter of the rules currently contained in any guideline, handbook, manual,
instructional bulletin, form with instructions, or operational memoranda?
Yes. Instructions for filing appeals are published on the UIAC website along with a description of
other appeal procedures which are set forth in FAQ’s in the Resource section of the website.
11. Are the rules listed on the department’s annual regulatory plan as rules to be processed
for the current year?
12. Will the proposed rules be promulgated under Section 44 of the Administrative Procedures
Act, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.244, or under the full rulemaking process?
13. Please describe the extent to which the rules exceed similar regulations, compliance
requirements, or other standards adopted at the state, regional, or federal level.
The proposed set of rules will not conflict, duplicate or exceed similar regulations, compliance
requirements or other standards adopted at the state, regional, or federal level.
14. Do the rules incorporate the recommendations received from the public regarding any
complaints or comments regarding the rules? If yes, please explain.
The UIAC has received comments from the public regarding procedures for submitting oral and
written argument under R 792.11420 and 11423. The proposed rules will modify these
15. If amending an existing rule set, please provide the date of the last evaluation of the rules
and the degree, if any, to which technology, economic conditions, or other factors have changed
the regulatory activity covered by the rules since the last evaluation.
The current rule set was implemented in 2015 and last evaluated in 2018. Since the last
evaluation, the UIAC has accepted appeals and other filings by electronic means. The proposed
rule set will set forth rules formalizing procedures for electronic filing.
16. Are there any changes or developments since implementation that demonstrate there is no
continued need for the rules, or any portion of the rules?
17. Is there an applicable decision record (as defined in MCL 24.203(6) and required by MCL
24.239(2))? If so, please attach the decision record.