PUBLIC HEARING TRANSCRIPT – April 5, 2022
Good morning. I would like to call the Hearing to Order. My name is Shannon Matsumoto,
Section Manager with the MIOSHA Standards and FOIA Section, I will be facilitating the hearing
today. This meeting is being recorded. At this time, please make sure your cell phones are
silenced. Thank you
This hearing is being called to order at 10:01 a.m., on April 5, 2022, at the Michigan Library &
Historical Center, 1st Floor Forum.
This is a public hearing for proposed administrative rules for MIOSHA General Industry Safety
and Health Standard Part 74 Firefighting.
This hearing is being conducted pursuant to provisions of the
• Administrative Procedures Act 306 of 1969, MCL 24.242;
• MIOSHA Public Act 154 of 1974 as amended, MCL 408.1014r, MCL 408.1016, and MCL
• Executive Reorganization Order Nos. 1996-2, 2003-1, 2008-4, 2011-4, and 2019-3, MCL
445.2001, 445.2011, 445.2025, 445.2030, and 125.1998.
• and on behalf of the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity.
The public hearing notice was published in three newspapers of general circulation, as well as
the April 1, 2022, edition of the Michigan Register.
Joining us today are:
• Bart Pickelman, Director of MIOSHA
• Ron Ray, Director of Technical Services Division
• Daniela Garza, Rules Analyst, Standards and FOIA Section
• Toscha Klopp, Secretary, Standards and FOIA Section
We are here today to receive your comments only on the proposed rules. If you wish to speak,
please make sure you have signed in and indicated your willingness to speak. We will call on
speakers in the order in which names are listed on the sign in sheets. When you come forward,
please identify yourself by giving your name, as well as who you represent so that this
information can be included in the hearing report. If you have additional comments to submit
in writing, you may leave them at the registration desk or submit them to our department no
later than 5 p.m. today, April 5, 2022.
If there are no further comments at this time, I will close the hearing, at 10:04 a.m. The record
will remain open until 5 p.m. today, April 5, 2022, for any additional comments you may wish to
share regarding the proposed rules.
Thank you all for coming today.